Thursday, January 04, 2007

why i'm blessed thursday

*i've got a nice little bag of m's allergen-free trail mix sitting on the table in front of me. and it's got cranberries and chocolate chips and the most deliciously sweet magical oats in the world. john's convinced that she should package and market it. i want to stick my head in the baggie and munch away.

*sex talks with friends. talks about deep stuff even though 'extra!' is playing on the tv. friends that bring over bottles of wine and bags of peanut butter filled m&m's. getting equally excited about both. big cheesy black bean pies in the over, and warm slices of homemade hippie banana bread with brown sugar crumble. pottery bowls of vanilla pudding and apple crispy cake for dessert. being old and going to be early. pink champagne. my friends that get just as excited/embarrassed for me when we're watching my old home videos.

*finally going to the dentist. the last time i went was when gray was in-utero! i'm punished. i have extremely bad receeding gums and these crazy dentists just want to do weird gum-grafting surgery on my exposed nerves. dentists make me scared. 'make dentist appt for n&g' has been on my to-do list literally for two years. i faithfully recopy it on to all my new lists. and it makes me feel bad ever day that goes by that i don't call. so i finally found a dentist (random pick) and made an appt. and went. i was scared how gray would do, but i did some major prepping (thanks 'dora goes to the dentist'!) and she was a complete rockstar. not to brag, but they literally said that they've never seen a three-year-old wee one act some freakin' cool. and then it was my turn. and it was fine (slightly painful but i had to be brave for my girl!). and of course, i have to go back in a couple of weeks for about 11 bondings over my exposed nerves, which basically involves them drilling over the roots and filling them like cavities, all in the name of making me more comfortable in the long run! eeks. and the hygenist was all talkative while she was in my mouth, and like "you SO a type A personality, all this gum stuff is your fault because you equate brushing HARDER with being CLEANER." she was all over me. i'm so not a type A but when i "uh uh" disagreed with her with my mouth open and drooling, she misunderstood and thought it was more like a "you're so right sister" and so now she thinks i'm totally a type A.

anywho.
at least it's off my list.

*i heart groceries. but seriously, i cannot step into the store without spending at least $182. it seems that's my magical grocery number. maybe i should've bought a lottery ticket.

anywho.
at least we've got meals for weeks. hopefully there's some healthy ones in there, but i doubt it.

*bookclub tonight. i heart bookclub. i really do. i love the bad coffee and bad treats, and tonight is my special night to provide beverages! (jess, don't forget the snacks!) i heart green iced tea.

*the above picture is pum holding his favorite truck. i've got to get this on video- but if you say to him..."go get your truck and bring it to daddy"...he goes, gets the truck, goes over to john, hands it to him, then leans over john's leg and waits for his truck-rub. john drives the truck up and down pum's back like a little hand-held massager. pum's face is filled with joy and complete release. it's my favorite thing in the whole world to watch.

note to self: get that on video!

13 comments:

AMANDA said...

anywho...i want to be in a book club. what are you guys reading now? I just finished of mice and men (again) and need something to read. Any ideas?

nina beana said...

reading "extremely loud and incredibly close" by jonathan safran foer. i've read it before...it's one of my all-time favorite books. he's an amazing writer (also wrote "everything is illuminated"). this particular book is post 9/11 and very powerful because it's told from a younger child's point of view.

JCharlton said...

EEEKS, I hope your gums start to get batter.

Please video Joey, I'd love to see it!

mint and orange said...

you'll have to let me know how the book club goes - and which book is for next month! i absolutely want to go next time.

i love to hear about your hump day gatherings. your home is so welcoming and yummy... and a good inspiration to cook cook cook!

Jecca said...

I will not forget snacks! I promise. And remind me to get a book for Patty....

angela said...

thursday again already, wow! i am looking to join a new book club. i miss book talk with others...
i'm so glad the dentist went smooth for your girl, my littlest is going for the first time in April - i'll have to check out that Dora number for some help.

Anonymous said...

As always, your lists are warm and wonderful. I do exclude the dentist portion of this though, because the dentist is NEVER warm or wonderful. I in the same space on that one. I had not been to the dentist in entirely too long and started going again after we moved here last Spring. Then the insurance stopped me in my tracks...so it is now time to go back and finish what I started. And I am not at all looking forward to it.

Have a wonderful time with your bookclub, and have some treats for me!!!

xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

the truck rub would be terrific to see. i heart bookclub too, mine is next week.

Anonymous said...

I want to be in a book club too, I think I am going to make it a goal for the new year.
Oddly enough my mom recently had that gum surgery done and although it was painful for a week or two she is happy she did it now and doesn't have to worry about it any longer (my mom is only 48 and she had been putting it off for a long while).

EllyJane said...

i totally miss you.
can we talk soon?

Left-handed Trees... said...

Tried to get a book club thing going on, but no one really cared about the book--just the socializing and I ultimately realized that was what the women I'd asked to participate were really needing. My book love is on my own...Lovely list!
--D.--

Georgia said...

Eeek for the teeth... I hope that getting the bonds or whatever is not too terrible. I have to go to the dentist.... haven't been in at LEAST 8 years.... uuurg... I know i have at least 2 cavities right now too.

Anyhow, just stopping in to say HI!!!!

xoxox
Georgia

Heather said...

oh my, the dentist is my nightmare. Though I haven't been in awhile, and now that I'm not pregnant I can't use that as an excuse (though my midwife said it wasn't an excuse anyway) and I am dreading taking Jack that I know I need to, glad your little one did so well, gives me hope for mine.