today is just one of those days. it really has the potential to be something fantastic and shiny and wonderful (read: postbedtime and postdrinkies) but right now it's just stuck in that afternoon purgatory time before the fun begins. today was a comedy of errors- and while i was laughing in the begining of it all, right now i just want the night to begin, and this crazy day to end.
basically, to make a really long and painful story short, my car broke down in subzero weather, and i had to run around looking for power steering fluid. luckily my brother was with me and waited in the car and called all the appropriate people for help- but he was also in the car with my two screaming-bloody-murder children which made said phonecalls quite difficult. i was bumming because a couple of weeks ago i spent $500 getting my whole steering column fixed, and here i am, stuck in demoulas' parking lot (which grace proceeded to same 8,000 times...demoulas, demoulas, demoulas- say it...it's a strange word) with the SAME problem. wheel not moving. snotty kids crying. mamas eyes watering out of her head after running two miles in the burning cold to target to buy all this fluid that subsequently came pouring out of the car onto the parking lot.
can i just say that i love my brother? and my dad? and using their AAA? and through it all, the kids really were rockstars. because it was cold today. and again, my mechanic (i just think it would be hysterical is jimmy read this but there's no chance in hell). who fixed my car when it was towed to him for ten dollars. my bill was freakin' ten dollars!
wait, my life is good. i can't complain. ten dollars!
through it all i made just to transport the delicious car-full of groceries and drinkies from one car to the other, making sure they arrived safely at my home for tonight. i have my priorities.
my final thoughts: grace has a serious obsession with KT Tunstall. and the song "suddenly i see". she was on ellen today, and grace had to watch. and she knows all the words and sings along (thanks for the cd auntie s!). is it bad that i allow to her say 'hell' because it's in the song? she is only three. i explained that 'hell' is a bad word, but she's allowed to say it as long as she's singing KT Tunstall. talk about high concept.
19 comments:
Every once in a while our lives parallel in strange ways, Khalila and I were broken down in the freezing cold also. It was so cold I kept her hands in my armpits when her gloves seemed to fail her. Night will be here before you know it, and perhaps even before you read this. Enjoy. Much Love.
((((BIG HUG for my favorite mama!))) I always feel so connected with you, no kidding! Just when I think I'm on my own with shoulders piled with mommy ups and downs today -- there you are :) I will toast to you tonight and how you brave a day of craziness as I indulge in family & friends who are joining us for dinner (Carissa is bringing a boy home for dinner tonight too!! Oh, I so need to talk to you about this one!! LOL!!).
And saying "hell" won't scar Grace. Thanks to me my niece's favorite word is "dammit".
Much love,
Tab
Demoulas, Demoulas....teehee!!
After the day you had, I hope you have a WARM, AWESOME, FABULOUS, RELAXING & FUN night.
My kids (and myself) are addicted to that "suddenly I see" song right now. It makes us happy.
Oh, that is such a big bummer. I hate car mishaps (I am the flat tire queen). Hope you all our warm and cozy now!
I'm sorry Neeeennnneeerrrr, but this slays me. I can just see this happening in my head. Awful.
Let Grace say "hell". It's not like she's dropping the f-bomb. Yet.
Lots of lovin'.
A girl after my own heart -- just adore Grace!! Sorry about your car situation. It could not have been any colder.
Tell Gracie, that Auntie S used to work at Demoulas!!
Love ya,
Steph
T- minus 1 day until tomorrow. We are praying for no snow.
Making me laugh out loud for you once again! Your flippin crazy life just keeps getting funnier and funnier!
Tell Grace that I LOVE that song too! If we were together I would sing with her.
Here's to a much better and warmer day!
i hope the evening was smooth and delicious for you :)
By now, the morning after--I hope you've bounced back from the wild day and (hopefully) relaxed night! Th KT Tunstall thing is really no biggie--I used to take Petunia to the local poetry slams when she was about six and they'd drop the f-bomb like punctuation...she just said, "I understand, Mom--they just use the bad word for emphasis." And now, at ten--she's not running around screaming it or anything. It's all good!
Love,
D.
i hope your wednesday night was well worth the trials. stay warm!!!
demoulas sounds like medusa's nicer older sister. i hear you about nighttime-about 3 o clock i start cleaning up and waiting for B to get home so dinner can begin and this job can be shared. egadzooks - some days are better than others!
sending you love and kleenex with lotion.
Cheers! {clink of glasses}
Here's to a cozy, car-running, mellow kid day for you...
$10!!! wow Jimmy is a total rock star mechanic.
glad you got the kids, the groceires and the drinkies home safely- now go enjoy all of those things not necissarly in that order :)
I wonder if letting her sing "hell" qualifies as attachment parenting? hmmm...
nina you are a rock star and i just love you and thank god for little brothers and kiddies that rock out to kt tunstall!
I'm just glad you weren't all alone with a broken down car, my biggest fear.
Girl's got good taste...I love KT Tunstall, too! Glad your car got fixed...nothing good can happen in the Demoulas parking lot!
Melissa
This is so.not.nice!!!! I am so hoping that today (Thurs) was a much better day for you! And here's the really good news: tomorrow is Friday!!!!!
Isn't the cutest when our little ones decide that they love love love a song, and suddenly they are singing it word for word? It tickles me...even when the word has "hell" in it! he he he
That is beyond precious that Gracey sings to KT Tunstall. Little rockstar! Don't worry - my 18-month old has picked up the F word. Don't tell anybody. We're trying to make it "frog" before my parents visit again...
I have a pretty relaxed policy around so-called bad words. I wonder how that's going to go as she gets older...hmmmm....
Post a Comment